The king of all breakfasts. Tons of people love eggs benedict but so many are scared to make it. I’ll show you how simple it can be and before you know it, eggs benedict will become a staple breakfast in your own house.
- Two English muffins
- Four pieces of Canadian Ham
- Four eggs
- White vinegar
- Hollandaise Sauce…see the link below for the post on that sauce
- The hollandaise sauce process gets explained extensively in the other post. The main point is that timing is everything with eggs benedict.
- Fry up the Canadian ham and toast the English muffins.
- In a small pot, heat up some water. You don’t want to use boiling water when you are poaching your eggs so just let the water start to steam when you make them. Add in a dose of white vinegar to the hot water. Now you’re ready to poach the eggs.
- Crack the eggs and drop them very gently into the water. Get as close as possible to the water and drop them in. You can probably do about two eggs at a time depending on the size of the bowl. After a few minutes, you’ll notice the egg starting to take form. It will rise to the top and that’s how you know it is pretty much done (about 2-3 minutes). Take a spatula or pasta spoon with holes to lift the egg out of the water. Let it drain out the liquid and you can place the egg right on top of your toasted English muffin with ham.
- Salt and pepper your egg before you glaze some hollandaise sauce on top. Finally, pour your coffee or mimosa, cut into the egg, and enjoy!
I’m not quite sure that there’s a beer pairing this week. Is beer really supposed to be drank in the morning anyway? I know what some of you are thinking. Regardless, I think a mimosa with extra dry champagne will do. What’s a better way to start your weekend morning? Especially if you have to watch the Dolphins on Sundays.
Non Cooking Thoughts of the Week
a. Make sure you vote on Tuesday. Elections affect you more than you probably think. Click on the link below to learn more about the candidates and who is running in your district. If you’re unsure, at least do one thing: vote for Bob Hugin to the US Senate and vote NO on the ballot question. You’ll thank me later. No more unchecked spending, New Jersey. I’m putting you in fiscal timeout.
b. The next time you buy canned food just beware there could be crystal meth in it. Check out this story from Texas where 66 pounds of meth was found hidden in canned food at the Houston airport. You just never know what you’ll find in a tomato puree can these days.
c. Alec Baldwin is an asshole but I’m sure you already knew that. He punched someone in New York over a parking spot. Not the first time this hot head has been in the news for being a jerk. We’re supposed to take political advice from a guy whose head is so far up his own ass that dealing with everyday people has proven to be too much of a burden for his ego.
“We do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority of those who participate.”